BARRANQUILLA (Central American and Caribbean Sports Games) - Puerto Rico's men and Venezuela's women struck gold at the Central American and Caribbean Sports Games 2018 in Barranquilla, Colombia.on July 26-28.
Puerto Rico dominated the 3x3 competition in the men's category since the start of the event, finishing first in the pool stage and winning the semi-finals by 11 points against Mexico. The final wasn't a walk in the park for them, as they suffered to defeat the Dominican Republic by only 3 points (21-18). Venezuela earned bronze after defeating Mexico in the 3rd place game.
Puerto Rico's success in the event wasn't a surprise for the 3x3 fans, as they put together a really experienced team led by Gilberto Clavell, who represented Puerto Rico at the FIBA 3x3 World Cup 2017 and reached the World Tour Final in 2016 with team Caguas (PUR) in the professional 3x3 circuit. Next to him were Angel Matias and Tjader Fernandez, who finished 3rd last year at the Saskatoon Masters. FIBA 3x3 World Cup 2014 participant Josue Erazo completed the roster.
In the women's event, Venezuela won gold beating Cuba in the final. by only 5 points (21-16). The Dominican Republic struck bronze after defeating El Salvador in the 3rd place game in a hard-fought game (19-17).
1. Puerto Rico
2. Dominican Republic
5. El Salvador
6. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
3. Dominican Republic
4. El Salvador
8. Puerto Rico
9. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
1. Reyson Beato - Dominican Republic - 50 points
2. Michaell Flores - Venezuela - 41 points
3. Lenin Lopez - Venezuela - 37 points
4. Tjader Fernandez .- Puerto Rico - 36 points
5. Gilverto Clavell - Puerto Rico -35 points
1. Klenia Noblet - Cuba - 69 points
2. Roselis Silva - Venezuela - 45 points
3. Karla Burgos - El Salvador - 37 points
4. Nelsin Sentil - Dominican Republic - 37 points
5. Luisanny Zapata - Venezuela - 33 points